A fine large antique reverse painted glass sign for John Brinsmead & Sons' Pianos.
John Brinsmead was a premier British piano maker. Established in 1836 as 'John Brinsmead' the company changed it's name to 'John Brinsmead & Sons' in 1870 when John's sons Edgar and John, Jr. joined the firm. Manufacturing the highest quality upright as well as grand pianos Brinsmead's instruments were often elaborate as well as expensive, reportedly making up to 2000 pianos a year at their height. In 1883 John Brinsmead was awarded the right to place the distinction 'Pianoforte Makers to HRH the Prince of Wales' on the company's pianos. At the end of 1919 there were rumours that Brinsmead's would have to close, the war had disrupted the work force, the workers went on strike, and by April production stopped at Brinsmead, by the time a compromise was reached in July and the strike ended it was too late and Brinsmead's had to close.
This superb reverse painted oval shape glass sign is in it's original ebonised frame with gilt detailing. The deep frame is very well made although there are some chips, marks and scuffs as expected from an item of this age and material. The paint to the glass does have a few scratches and losses but these are small. The back board has likely been replaced over the years but is still fitted and secure. A wonderful example of antique advertising, it displays beautifully and would be a great addition to any collection.
Due to the delicate nature of the glass in this sign we would prefer it to either be delivered by us, collected by the buyer or we can arrange a specialist courier to blanket wrap and hand deliver it.
Please remember that you are purchasing vintage items. They have lived a life and will have the age related wear which gives the items their original and unique character.
For current postage and shipping details please see the terms and conditions page.
Please fill in the information below